This lovely and varied hike (about 50km) is the “soft option” from Challacancha since the pass is lower (though still a tough 4,750m (15,580ft) and then
is mostly downhill through forested valleys, above deep ravines, ending at 1,500m.
The trek on the second day from Soray goes steeply uphill for half an hour, then comes to a series of zigzags (Siete Culebras is the local name of this strech). At the top of the seventh switchback the terrain levels out under Salkantay´s lateral moraine, and drops gently down to
the small laguna Soirococha. The pass you see above is, alas, a false one; the main pass is a little further on, but the view of Salkantay looming above you m
ore than compensates for the effort. The real pass at 4,750m is reached after 3-4 hours from the moraine, and is marked by a pile of stones , “well know as Apacheta by th locals”, which grows daily as each traveller adds his pebble to thank the APUS for a safe trip.
.Then the trail descends to the left –hand side of the valley, becoming indistinct in swampy areas. And then comes a place named Huayrajmachay “eye of the wind”, from here we will have a great chance to see the beautiful Pyramid-shape of Humantay behind as you drop below the tree line, know as LA CEJA DE SELVA (“Eyebrown of the Jungle”), and walk through groves of bamboo with many orchids and other flowers and lots of hummingbirds, spectacular waterfalls, a small hot spring at Collpapampa the right place to lock out for the parakeets that abound in this area as well.and the we go to take a local bus in order to get santa teresa where we will enjoy the hot springs which is 45 minutes from this town .and then will see machupichu and waynapichu mountains and then the last day will see finally the inkan city of machupicchu.
FIRST SALKANTAY TREK DAY : CHALLA CANCHA – SORAYPAMPA
We pick you up from your hotel at 4:30 a.m. to drive for about 2 hours to Mollepata where we will have breakfast in a local restaurant after the breakfast we will drive for 40 minutes more to Challacancha where we start our Salkantay trek . As soon as we are at Challacancha the cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff and we start hiking the first hours will be a little bit uphill to get The Inca Chanel where we will have a panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains (Humantay; 4120m/13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m/20575ft) – just the start! We will begin our Salkantay trek towards Soraypampa for another 2 hours, our first Salkantay Trek camping spot at our new Domes so we will have lunch here and take a little rest at the Domes then by the afternoon we will have a trek for about 2 hour to go to the Humantay Lake (3800 m/11750 ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip) we will be very close to the second highest Salkantay snow capped -mountain of Cusco. and of course we will pass a night in our new luxury Domes which have great comfort, hot shower and private toilets
1ST DAY:Total distance: 15 km (aprox.).
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours.
Maximum altitude point: 3,800 m (aprox.).
Campsite Altitud: 3,800 m (aprox.).
SECOND SALKANTAY TREK DAY: SORAYPAMPA -CHAULLAY – LUCMABAMBA/LA PLAYA DOMES
After having our Salkantay Trek breakfast we start walking about 5:30 am, because this day will be the longest day the first 4 hours is uphill to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650m/15200 ft) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible. There is a possibility of snow here.
After a rest, we will continue our walk (downhill) through a dramatic cloud forest towards Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch. We hike again after lunch in the direction of the start of the jungle until we reach chaullay where we will take a transport to Lucmabamba/La Playa Domes Base Camp.
2ND DAY: Total distance: 19 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 8 – 9 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,650 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 2,750 m (aprox.)
THIRD SALKANTAY TREK DAY: LUCMABAMBA DOMES – LLACTAPATA – AGUAS CALIENTES
After breakfast, at 6.30am, we do Zipline after that we will start walking through the upper jungle towards Llactapata (original Inca Trail about 2 hours to get the top from there you can see Machupicchu after that walk down for about 2 more hours towards Hydroelectrica after having lunch we start walking 2 more hours by taking the Railroad to Aguas Calientes.
3RD DAY: Total distance: 16 m (aprox.).
Estimated walking time: 6-7 hours.
Maximum altitude point: 2,750 m (aprox.).
Campsite altitude: 1,600 m (aprox.) salkantay trek to Machupicchu.
FOURTH SALKANTAY TREK DAY: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU!!!
Salkantay trek important day ,We wake up early morning about 4 am to then to 4:30 to have the breakfast and leave to walk up to Machupicchu which takes one and half hours up to Machupicchu but there is another option to catch the first bus which leaves 5:30 to Machupicchu (25-minutes long) in order to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun is rising.
A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your Guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. If you still have energy you can also climb Huaynapicchu (2720m/8890ft)!!! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top. Then you will take the train around 2:00pm, 4:00pm or 6:20pm according to the train Availability so you will arrive to Ollamtaytamabo after 2 hours travelling so A private transport will wait for you and will take you back to Cusco to your Hotel.
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hours.
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.).
- Professional bilingual tour guide.
- Entrance fees to The salkantay Trek.
- Entrance fees to Machupicchu.
- Entrance fees to Huaynapicchu or Machupicchu Mountain(Based on availability).
- Briefing time about the Salkantay Trek One day before.
- Maximum number of paxs 02 maximum 08 paxs.
- Collection from your hotel (we pick you up from where you are staying).
- Private transport to Challacancha ( trailhead).
- Vistadome Luxury train back to ollantaytambo (can be at 13:37 pm or 16:30 pm leaving from.
Aguas calientes to Ollantaytambo).
- Private transport back from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- Entrance fee Machu Picchu.
- Food: *3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 afternoon snacks (hot drinks, biscuits and popcorn) and 3 dinners.
- 2 or 3-people Dome Capacity(with Private Shower and Toilet).
- Camping equipment (2 domes capacity, cooking and eating dinning dome. Chairs and tables).
- Sleeping bag and liners if this requires
- Horseman , mules or porters (they just carry cooking stuff and camping equipment)
- 8 kilos of your personal belongins to be carry by the horses.( we will provide you duffel bags, ask us at our office)
- Round Trip Bus Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- 1 night accommodation in our 3 stars Hotel at Aguas Calientes(private room,cable tv, wi fi).
- First Aid kit.
- Vegetarian/special diet options available.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Original passport and Student card.
- Insurance card is essential.
- Hiking waterproof boots (with ankle protectors ).
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho.
- Sleeping bag.
- Warm jack.
- Hat and gloves.
- Comfortable trousers.
- Rain pants.
- Sun hat, Bathing suit (for hot springs in santa teresa and Aguas Calientes).
- Sun protection cream ( factor 35 recommended ) sun is strong.
- Insect Repellent 40 % deet ( for mosquitos ).
- Water bottle.
- Water purification tablets (Micropur recommended).
- Toilet paper.
- Personal medication.
- Camera and films.
- Torch with spare batteries (flashlight).
- Extra contribution suggested money for tipping porters, cook and guide. and for any emergency (300 soles).
- Walking poles ( black diamond or leki brand).
- Optional items to take.
- Short pants.
- Walking poles (with rubber tips) they can also be hired from us.
- Plaster and bandage.
PRIVATE SERVICE GLAMPING DOME TO DOME – ( With Private Shower and Bathroom and Private Dome Room) Prices are based on Number of people departing that date/ We will leave with minimum of 02 PPL.
02 persons group / US$750 per person
03 persons group / US$700 per person
04 persons group / US$650 per person
05 persons group / US$600 per person
06-8 persons group / US$550 per person
WESTERN UNION Money Transfer Company (Fastest and safest method of sending money in Peru)(It takes Minutes and pick the money inmediately and we can confirm in minutes)
Receiver’s Name: SYNTHIA
Receiver’s Surname: LUQUE QUISPE
Receiver’s Address : San Juan de Dios 295 (Cusco)
Receiver’s Country: Peru
PERUVIAN BANKING TRANFER ACCOUNT We can also accept payments by bank transfer to our Peru bank account.(It takes at least 3 working days) You can directly transfer funds from your own banking account to our banking account. There is a 3% admin fee attached to this account that you need to add onto the amount you are sending. See details below.
Name of Bank: INTERBANK
Account Number: (US$ dollars) 420-308433804-0
Account Name: QUECHUAS PERU GROUP S.A.C
SWIFT CODE: SWIFT de Interbank, BINPPEPL
Emergency phone: Lima 311 9000 Provincias 0 801 00802
- Locations Visited: Salkantay, Machupicchu
- Trip Style: Trekking Tours
- Length: 4D/3N
- Frequency: Everyday
- Group: 2 paxs minimum 10 paxs as maximum
- Difficulty: 4/5
ASK ABOUT THE TOURS