Choquequirao Trek (meaning ‘cradle of gold’) was discovered in the 18th century by a French explorer, it fascinated 19th century explorers and was also visited by Hiram Bingham prior to his discovery of Machu Picchu.
Grandiose and mysterious, this abandoned city has lots of parallels with Machu Picchu and there are a variety of theories about its function. It is only relatively recently, however, that COPESCO (the official body responsible for tourism in Peru) has partially cleared the site and there remains a lot more to be discovered along the Choquequirao Trek.
Lying in a cloud forest, a dramatic 1150 metres (3772 feet) above the Apurimac River and surrounded by a fascinating landscape created by the Vilcabamba mountain range,The Choquequirao Trek has everything to offer a trekker. However, due to its remote location, few tourists visited this site in the past. Fortunately, COPESCO, have now also constructed a footbridge over the Apurimac River, below the site, making it more accessible to reach.
It is a challenging but amazing experience to hike down to the depths of Apurimac Canyon and then up to the site in the clouds…
For the Choquequirao Trek We pick you up from your hotel at about at 5.00 am and travel by bus, for about 4 hours to to the small village of Cachora where we will meet our horseman and mules. We will begin our trek along the edge of the Apurimac canyon and follow the trail, enjoying the dramatic landscapes and a variety of plant and animal life until we reach our campsite chiquiska or ‘La Playa Rosa Linda’ (1650m/5413ft).
We will get up early, have breakfast and begin our walk by crossing the Apurimac River and then descending to the lowest point on the trail. Following this, we have a steep ascent through a thick cloud forest towards the Inca site of Choquequirao. We will have lunch and then time to relax and enjoy the archeological zone, plants, animals (hopefully condors), and views of nearby canyons and snow-capped mountains (Soray – 5428m/17808ft andTuncarway 5910m/19389ft). We will camp close to the site (3033m/9950 ft).
Today, we will have breakfast followed by a 3-hour guided tour around Choquequirao itself. After this, we descend to our last campsite, ‘Santa Rosa’.
We will wake to birds’ songs and beautiful scenery. We will walk to Cachora and from there take a bus back to Cusco to arrive at about 7 or 8 pm this is the end of our Choquequirao trek.
Included At the choquequirao trek :
- Professional, Speaking English Tour Guide and Assistant Guide (for groups of 8 or more people).
- Collection from hotel ( we will come to pick you up).
- Round trip local bus (Cusco-Cachora-Cusco).
- Entrance fees to Choquequirao.
- Food : 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 afternoon snacks, 3 dinners and various snacks to be eaten throughout the day.
- Camping equipment Dining and cooking tent with table and chairs.
- Tent capacity 4 people to be use only for 2 paxs so you will have more room to storage your own luggage.
- Horseman and mules (they just carry cooking and camping equipment).
- 7 kilos of your personal belongins to be carry by the horses.
- Therma rest air mattress.
- First Aid kit.
Doesn’t Include at the Choquequirao Trek:
- Breakfast on the first day and lunch on the last day.
- And if you need something to hire from us, we will for you, without any deposit (because most of the rent camping.
- Shops use to ask like 50 or 60 dolars for anything you want to take.
What you need to take for he Choquequirao Trek:
- Walking boots (with ankle protectors).
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho.
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves.
- Comfortable trousers.
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 recommended).
- Insect repellent minimum 30% deet.
- Personal medication.
- Camera and films.
- Torch with spare batteries.
Optional items to take for the Choquequirao Trek:
- Walking poles (with rubber tip) they can also be hired from us.
- Plasters and bandages.
- Bathing suit (for hot springs) in conoc , ( optional ).
- Extra contribution suggested money for tipping porters ,cook and guide and for any emergency (200 soles ).
We can leave any day of the week, as long as permits are available. Please remember, permits are only needed for your start date.
2018 Fixed Departure Date (March 2018 through January 2019):
July : 2nd (2pp).
Private Tours are based on Group Size for the Choquequirao Trek:
Two trekkers: 550 USD$.
Three trekkers: 530 USD$.
Four trekkers: 520 USD$.
Five – Six trekkers: 500 USD$.
Seven – Ten trekkers: 480 USD$.
Pay your tour deposit through Paypal
You Can use your Credit Card or Debit card to send your deposit
Our Three Way of Sending your Deposit to Peru Through Western Union, MoneyGram ,Bank Account Transfer or Visa Mastercard Payment.
This is the main way to do your payment from abroad and avoid high bank charges or taxes, is using WESTERN UNION, a global transfer service that has a large network of offices around the world.
Money Transfer by Western Union (using your credit cards) – There are additional fees associated with this method of payment.
The method of payment depends on which country that you are sending the money. From the USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, France, Netherlands & Norway you can make the money transfer online at : Wester Union Just visit the website and follow the instructions. Visa and Master Card can be used. The charge is less if you go directly to a local Western Union agent in your town and pay in cash. For countries other than those mentioned above you will have to go to the office of your local agent to pay the deposit. The Western Union website allows you to search for the agent nearest to where you live. There are over 245,000 agents throughout the world so you should have no problem finding one that is convenient to you at the end of the Transaction Western union or Money Gram will give you a control number that you need to let us know so we can be able to collect your deposit.
Note: If you want to use this method ask for the Details of the person you are going to send your deposit to.
Phone numbers: mobile 051 984 404049 or our land line 051 084 227118
*You can send the money to my boss bank account too here is the full details So if you send your deposit through this bank account.
Name of Bank: Banco de Crédito del Perú BCP
Account Number: (US$ dollars) 285-28511999-1-64
Account Name: Maribel Sanchez Huaman
SWIFT CODE: BCPLPEPL
Emergency phone VíaBCP: 0051-1-3119898
Bank Address: 189 Av. El Sol
- Locations Visited: Cachora Capuliyoc Chikisca Maranpata Choquequirao.
- Trip Style: Trekking Tours.
- Length: 4D/3N.
- Frequency: Everyday.
- Group: 2 pax min, max 10 pax.
- Difficulty: 5/5.
ASK ABOUT THE TOURS